Sunday, September 30, 2012

Getting Ready for NOLA 2012

Excitement is brewing getting ready again for New Orleans 2012!! 
A motto for me in
the city of New Orleans


Last year I spent a week with the Mercyhurst Service Learning Department over Thanksgiving Break in New Orleans doing a rebuild service project. This year marks the seventh year since Hurricane Katrina hit the city of New Orleans and there are still an large amount of homes in need of repair! With Hurricane Isaac re-affecting the rebuild process, there is an even bigger need for help to rebuild and that is where the Mercyhurst team comes in. 

Each year through the Service Learning Department, Mercyhurst sponsors various trips to immerse students in community service and learning opportunities. I was able to go to New Orleans in 2011 for the rebuild and I am looking forward to getting back. Last year there were 18 volunteers who spent their break working with the PNOLA team (check out their blog here).


Our Crew overlooking downtown New Orleans across the Mississippi

On the trip we split up and work as teams on houses in various areas of the city during the week. We did all sorts of jobs from painting and restoring the exterior of houses, to dry walling, insulating, framing, and general tidying. I think that my work from the House the Hurst Built is going to better prepare me for this year's trip! However, I am really looking forward to this trip. Some of the people from last year are going again, so I know that we are all looking forward to getting back to the city to see the progress that has been made. We are also taking new people who have not yet been on a rebuild trip or to New Orleans. As a leader in the group, I am hoping to help them make a positive impact and realize why it is so good to give back the way we do at Mercyhurst.
Me doing demolition at one of the houses with PNOLA 
This trip is one of the best things I have ever done at Mercyhurst, and I am looking forward to returning. We just found out if we were chosen or not to go on the New Orleans trip for 2012, and I couldn't be more happy to be part of the contributing team. I think it is important to remember why we are there. It is not only to experience this city and spend time with my friends from school. These people of New Orleans have been through true life struggles that I can't even relate to, and they continue to work hard. I loved the PNOLA site because of their motto. The P stands for Phoenix of New Orleans, LA. Phoenix meaning to rise from the ashes. This city that has been majorly effected by the hurricanes and destruction is rising from the ashes. 

Lakers getting silly with a family we were helping
Until next time Lakers and readers..... remember to do something good for someone else. There is nothing better than service for another person; its good for the soul!

Always,
Adrianne

No comments:

Post a Comment